If you have been a Ring camera or doorbell user for a long time then you were probably very happy when Ring announced their compatibility with Apple Homekit.
However it is 2024, and still, people keep asking does ring cameras or doorbells work with homekit. The short answer is No, Ring does not work with Apple Homekit.
However, certain ways are using which you can connect your ring devices with homekit and control your voice. and in this article, we will show you how.
But first, let’s take a look at what Ring and Homekit are, and why you might want to use them.
Also Read – Do Blink Cameras Work With Apple HomeKit?
What Is Ring?
Ring is a brand of smart home security products, such as video doorbells, cameras, alarms, and lights. Ring devices let you monitor and control your home from anywhere, using your smartphone, tablet, or computer. You can see who is at your door, talk to visitors, watch live or recorded videos, get alerts when motion is detected, and more.
Ring devices are easy to install and use, and they work with a variety of other smart home platforms, such as Alexa, Google Assistant, IFTTT, and SmartThings. However, one notable exception is Apple Homekit, which Ring does not officially support.
What Is Homekit?
Homekit is Apple’s smart home platform, which lets you control and automate your compatible devices using your iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, or HomePod. You can use the Home app or Siri to turn on lights, adjust the thermostat, lock the doors, play music, and more. You can also create scenes and automation to make your devices work together in different scenarios, such as “Good Morning”, “I’m Home”, or “Good Night”.
Homekit devices are secure and private, as they use end-to-end encryption and do not share your data with third parties. Homekit devices also work seamlessly with each other, as they use a common language and protocol. However, not all smart home devices are compatible with Homekit, and one of them is Ring.
Also Read – Does Wyze Work With Homekit?
Ring Devices You Can Control With Homekit
So, does Ring work with Apple Homekit at all? The answer is yes, but not natively.
You will need to use a third-party solution, such as a Homebridge hub, to connect your Ring devices with Homekit.
Also Read – Does Blink Work With Ring? [Answered]
Homebridge is software that runs on a computer or a device like a Raspberry Pi, and acts as a bridge between Homekit and non-Homekit devices. It uses plugins to add support for different devices, and one of them is the Ring plugin.
With the Ring plugin, you can add your Ring doorbells, cameras, and alarms to Homekit, and control them using the Home app or Siri. You can also view live or recorded videos, get notifications, and integrate them with other Homekit devices and scenes. For example, you can create a scene that turns on the lights and plays music when someone rings your doorbell or automation that locks the doors and arms the alarm when you leave home.
However, there are some limitations and drawbacks to using Homebridge and the Ring plugin.
- First, you must set up and maintain a Homebridge hub, which can be complicated and time-consuming.
- Second, you will need to update the plugin regularly, as Ring may change its API or features.
- Third, you may experience some lag or glitches, as Homebridge is not an official solution.
- Fourth, you will still need to use the Ring app or website to access some features, such as setting up or managing your devices, changing the settings, or subscribing to the Ring Protect plan.
How to Use Ring Devices with Homekit?
If you are still interested in using Ring devices with Homekit, here are the steps you need to follow:
Use A Homebridge Hub To Connect Ring Accessories With HomeKit
The first step is to set up a Homebridge hub, which will act as a bridge between your Ring devices and Homekit. You will need a computer or a device that can run Homebridge, such as a Raspberry Pi, a Mac, a Windows PC, or a NAS. You will also need a stable internet connection and a Homekit hub, such as an Apple TV, a HomePod, or an iPad.
There are different ways to install and run Homebridge, but one of the easiest and most popular ones is to use HOOBS, which stands for Homebridge Out Of the Box System. HOOBS is a ready-to-use Homebridge system that comes with a web interface and a pre-configured set of plugins, including the Ring plugin. You can buy a HOOBS device from their website, or download and install HOOBS on your own device.
Also Read – Arlo Base Station Offline – Get It Online Easily
Set Up HOOBS
If you bought a HOOBS device, you just need to plug it in, connect it to your network, and follow the instructions on the screen. If you installed HOOBS on your own device, you need to follow these steps:
- Connect your device to your network and power it on.
- Open a web browser on your computer or smartphone, and go to http://hoobs.local or the IP address of your device.
- Create an account and log in to the HOOBS dashboard.
- Go to the Settings tab and change the name, username, password, and port of your HOOBS system.
- Go to the Network tab and enable the mDNS service, which will allow your HOOBS system to be discovered by Homekit.
- Go to the Backup and Restore tab and create a backup of your HOOBS system, in case you need to restore it later.
Install And Configure The Plugin
The next step is to install and configure the Ring plugin, which will allow you to add your Ring devices to Homekit. To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to the Plugins tab and search for “Ring”.
- Click on the Install button and wait for the installation to complete.
- Go to the Configuration tab and enter your Ring account email and password. You can also change other settings, such as the refresh interval, the snapshot mode, the video quality, the motion sensor, and the siren.
- Click on the Save button and restart your HOOBS system.
Add Your Ring Devices To Homekit
The final step is to add your Ring devices to Homekit and control them using the Home app or Siri. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, and tap on the + icon at the top right corner.
- Tap on Add Accessory, and scan the QR code or enter the code that is displayed on your HOOBS dashboard.
- Wait for your Ring devices to be discovered and added to Homekit. You can assign them to different rooms, change their names, and adjust their settings.
- Enjoy using your Ring devices with Homekit!
Benefits of Integrating A Ring Device with Apple HomeKit
Now that you know how to use Ring devices with Homekit, you might be wondering: what are the benefits of doing so? Here are some of the advantages of integrating your Ring devices with Homekit:
- You can control your Ring devices using the Home app or Siri, which is convenient and easy.
- You can view live or recorded videos from your Ring devices on your iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, or HomePod, without opening the Ring app or website.
- You can get notifications from your Ring devices on your Apple devices, and respond to them quickly and easily.
- You can integrate your Ring devices with other Homekit devices and scenes, and create smart automations and routines for your home.
- You can enjoy the security and privacy of Homekit, which uses end-to-end encryption and does not share your data with third parties.
Conclusion | Does Ring Devices Work with Homekit?
Does Ring work with Apple Homekit? The answer is yes, but not natively. You will need to use a Homebridge hub and the Ring plugin to connect your Ring devices with Homekit, and enjoy the benefits of using them together.
However, you will also need to deal with some limitations and drawbacks, such as setting up and maintaining a Homebridge hub, updating the plugin regularly, experiencing some lag or glitches, and using the Ring app or website for some features.
We hope this article has helped you understand how to use Ring devices with Homekit, and whether it is worth it. If you have any questions or feedback, please let us know in the comments below. Thank you for using Bing! 😊
When will ring support homekit?
The question of when will ring support homekit has been asked by many users for a long time, but there is no definitive answer. Ring announced its intention to support Homekit back in 2016, but since then, there has been little progress or update on the matter. Ring has stated that it is still working on Homekit integration, but it has not given any timeline or roadmap for it.