Blink cameras are wireless security cameras that run on batteries. They are easy to install and use, and they offer a lot of features, such as motion detection, night vision, cloud storage, and live view. However, one of the drawbacks of Blink cameras is that they require regular battery replacement.
Depending on the usage and settings, Blink camera batteries can last from a few months to a few years. When the batteries of our blink camera died, we wanted to do the blink camera battery replacement by ourselves which we found hard.
If you are someone who wants to change blink camera batteries by yourself, then you are at the right place.
In this article, we will show you how to replace Blink camera batteries and extend their lifespan. We will also explain what factors affect battery life and how to troubleshoot common issues.
Also Read – How Long Does Ring Battery Last? [Each Model]
Factors Affecting Blink Camera Battery Lifespan
To be able to increase the battery life in your blink cameras, you need to know the factors that are responsible for poor battery life. There are several factors that can affect the battery life of your Blink camera. Some of them are:
Lithium Battery Efficiency
Blink cameras use lithium AA batteries, which are non-rechargeable. Lithium batteries are commonly used because they have a high energy density and a long shelf life, but they also have their drawbacks. For example, they can lose their capacity over time, especially when exposed to extreme temperatures or humidity. They can also degrade faster when used in high-drain devices, such as cameras.
To extend the battery life of your Blink camera, you should use high-quality lithium batteries from reputable brands, such as Energizer or Duracell. Also keep them in a cool and dry place, away from direct sunlight or heat sources. This will extend the battery life in your blink cameras making blink camera battery replacement less frequent.
Extended Motion Clip Recording
Blink cameras record motion clips when they detect movement in their field of view. The length of the motion clips can be adjusted in the app settings, from 5 seconds to 60 seconds. The longer the motion clips, the more battery power is consumed by the camera. This eats up a lot of power. When there is no power left in the cells, the blink camera stops detecting motion and even showing live feed.
To extend the battery life of your Blink camera, you should set the motion clip length to the minimum necessary for your needs. You can also adjust the motion sensitivity and activity zones in the app settings, to reduce false alarms and unnecessary recordings.
Live View Feature
Blink cameras allow you to view live video from your camera anytime through the app. However, using the live view feature also drains the battery power of your camera. The more you use the live view feature, the shorter the battery life of your camera.
To extend the battery life of your Blink camera, you should use the live view feature sparingly and only when necessary. You can also turn off the microphone and speaker in the live view settings, to save some battery power.
Blink cameras connect to a Sync Module, which connects to your Wi-Fi network and the cloud server. The strength of the connectivity between your camera and the Sync Module can affect the battery life of your camera. If the connectivity is weak or unstable, your camera will use more battery power to maintain the connection. In case, your blink sync module goes offline, try this fix.
To extend the battery life of your Blink camera, you should place your camera and Sync Module as close as possible, within 100 feet of each other. You should also avoid placing them near metal objects or other sources of interference, such as microwaves or cordless phones. You should also make sure that your Wi-Fi network is strong and reliable.
Step-by-Step Guide to Changing Blink Camera Batteries
Now let’s come to the main part i.e. how to change blink camera batteries. Well, blink camera battery replacement is not very complex but some people find it hard.
So we have created a step-by-step guide on how to change blink camera batteries. Here are the steps to follow for different models of Blink cameras:
Blink Indoor and Outdoor Cameras Battery Change
To change the batteries on your Blink indoor and outdoor cameras, you need to follow these steps:
- First, you need to detach the camera from any mount or accessory attached to it. You can do this by twisting or pulling the mount off the camera.
- Next, you need to remove the back cover of the camera. Some models have a silicone cover over a screw that you need to peel off. Then, you need to loosen the screw by turning it counterclockwise.
- After that, you need to pry off the back cover gently by applying some pressure on one side. You will see two AA lithium batteries inside the battery compartment.
- Then, you need to replace the old batteries with new ones, making sure they are in the right direction. You can find the serial number of the camera under the back cover as well.
- Finally, you must put the back cover back on the camera, aligning it with the grooves. You need to press it down and tighten the screw by turning it clockwise.
Blink XT and XT2 Cameras Battery Replacement
If you have a Blink XR or Blink XT2 Cameras whose cells you want to replace, then follow these steps:
- Remove the mounting bracket from your camera by twisting it counterclockwise.
- Remove the back cover of your camera by pressing down on the latch and pulling it off.
- Remove the old batteries from the battery compartment.
- Insert two new lithium AA batteries into the battery compartment, following the polarity markings.
- Replace the back cover of your camera by aligning it with the grooves and snapping it into place.
- Check the LED indicator on your camera to make sure it is working properly.
- Replace the mounting bracket on your camera by twisting it clockwise.
Troubleshooting Battery Issues with Your Blink Camera
Sometimes, you may encounter some issues with your Blink camera batteries, such as low battery warning, battery draining quickly, or Blink camera not working at all. Here are some tips to troubleshoot these issues:
- Ensure New Lithium Batteries
If you get a low battery warning on your app or camera, you should replace the batteries as soon as possible. You should use new lithium AA batteries from reputable brands, such as Energizer or Duracell. You should also avoid using rechargeable batteries, alkaline batteries, or mixed brands of batteries in your camera.
- Battery Draining Quickly
If your battery drains quickly after replacing it, you should check the following factors:
- The motion clip length and frequency. You should reduce the motion clip length and adjust the motion sensitivity and activity zones in the app settings, to avoid unnecessary recordings.
- The live view usage. You should use the live view feature sparingly and only when necessary. You should also turn off the microphone and speaker in the live view settings, to save some battery power.
- The connectivity strength. You should place your camera and Sync Module as close as possible, within 100 feet of each other. You should also avoid placing them near metal objects or other sources of interference, such as microwaves or cordless phones. You should also make sure that your Wi-Fi network is strong and reliable.
If none of these factors are causing the battery drain, you should contact Blink customer support for further assistance.
If you are facing Blink Sync Module Flashing Green read this article.
Conclusion | Blink Camera Battery Replacement
Blink cameras are great wireless security cameras that offer a lot of features and convenience. However, they also require regular battery replacement, which can be a hassle and a cost. Follow the above given step by step guide to replace blink camera batteries.
To extend the battery life of your Blink camera, you should use high-quality lithium batteries, adjust the camera settings, and troubleshoot any issues.
We hope this article has helped you learn how to replace Blink camera batteries and extend their lifespan. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. We’d love to hear from you!