Whenever there is a problem with the Instagram app, a common solution that everyone suggests is to clear the cache. But did you ever wonder what happens when you clear cache on Instagram? Does it have any advantages or downsides?
Well, I will be answering all of these questions in this article. So, let’s jump into the topic right away:
What is Instagram Cache?
Instagram cache is a temporary storage of data that the app stores on your device. This data includes images, videos, profile pictures, and other elements from the accounts you follow and interact with. The purpose of caching is to speed up the loading of content when you revisit a profile or view your feed. While this can enhance your browsing experience, it can also have some downsides.
The Benefits of Clearing Instagram Cache
- Improved Performance: One of the significant advantages of clearing your Instagram cache is improved app performance. As your cache grows, it can slow down the app, causing lag and delays in loading content. By clearing the cache, you can regain the snappiness of the app.
- Free Up Storage Space: Instagram cache can occupy a substantial amount of storage space on your device. Clearing it frees up valuable memory, which can be especially beneficial if you have limited storage capacity.
- Enhanced Privacy: Clearing cache can also enhance your privacy on Instagram. When you clear your cache, the app forgets your login credentials temporarily, making it more secure, especially if you share your device with others.
The Downsides of Clearing Instagram Cache
- Slower Initial Loading: After clearing the cache, Instagram will need to rebuild it the next time you use the app. This means that your initial loading time might be slightly longer than usual.
- Loss of Saved Data: Clearing your cache will remove temporarily stored data, such as the profiles you’ve visited or recent searches. If you rely on this data for quick access, you may find it inconvenient.
- Internet Dependency: Without cached data, Instagram may rely more on your internet connection to load content. This can be a drawback if you have a slow or unstable internet connection.
What Happens When You Clear Cache on Instagram?
When you clear the cache on Instagram, you’re essentially freeing up storage space on your device by removing temporary files.
These files accumulate as you view images, videos, and stories on the platform. Clearing them can help improve the app’s performance, especially if there were any minor glitches or lags. However, this action won’t delete any personal data like your posts, comments, or profile information.
After clearing the cache, you might notice that content loads a bit slower initially as it needs to be redownloaded. Also, on rare occasions, some apps might require you to log in again after such actions, so it’s wise to remember your login details.
How to Clear Cache on Instagram?
- Open the Instagram app on your device.
- Go to your profile by tapping on your profile picture at the bottom right corner.
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the top-right corner to open the menu.
- Scroll down and tap “Settings.”
- Scroll down again and tap “Security.”
- Under the “Data and History” section, tap “Clear Search History.”
- Confirm by tapping “Clear All” or select individual items to clear.
- To clear the cache, go back to “Settings” and tap “Account.”
- Tap “Clear Search History” under the “Login and Security” section.
- Confirm by tapping “Clear All.”
In conclusion, clearing cache on Instagram can significantly benefit your overall user experience. It can lead to improved app performance, more storage space, and enhanced privacy. However, it’s important to be aware of the potential downsides, such as slower initial loading and the loss of saved data. Ultimately, the decision to clear your Instagram cache should depend on your specific needs and preferences.